Many times, rather than working with an entire table, you may wish to work with only a subset of your data. Using the AutoFilter feature, you can display only the records with which you wish to work and hide all others from view. For example, in working with our films workbook, we could automatically filter our list to display only films with a category of Adventure.
When creating a table in Excel 2007, the AutoFilter option in automatically enabled and a drop-down arrow appears to the right of each column heading in the list. To apply the filter, click on the arrow and then uncheck the box next to the entries you do not want to display. To redisplay all fields, click on the arrow again and then choose All from the drop-down list or click the Clear button to remove all filters in your table.
You can also change the sort order using AutoFilter by choosing the desired sort order from the AutoFilter list.
To AutoFilter a List
- Activate any cell in your table area.
- Click the arrow next to the field name to which you want to apply a filter.
- Uncheck the box next to any entries that you do not wish to display.
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 for any additional fields you want to filter.
- To show all records, click the box next to (Select All).
- To clear a filter, click the arrow for the column whose filter you want remove and choose Clear from the list. Click Reapply to reapply a filter.
- To remove all filters from the table, click the Clear button on the Sort & Filter group on the Data Ribbon.
- To remove the AutoFilter arrows, click the Filter button on the Sort & Filter group on the Data Ribbon to deselect it.