Grouping records in reports allows you to keep groups of records together based on the values of one or more fields. When creating a report with the Report Wizard, you have the option of adding grouping levels. For instance, you could create a student registration report that grouped the records according to the StudentID field. This would keep all the records for a particular student together
You can also create and/or modify groups manually by clicking the Group and Sort button on the Grouping & Totals group on the Design Ribbon. You can then create groups and add a group header and group footer to your groups by setting properties in the Group, Sort & Total pane.
To Edit Sorting and Grouping Levels
- Open the report in Design View.
- Click the Design tab on the Ribbon.
- Click the Group and Sort button on the Grouping & Totals group on the Ribbon to display the Group, Sort & Total pane.
- Click Add a Group or Add a sort in the Group, Sort & Total pane.
- Click the field by which you wish to group or sort from the pop-up list.
- To add additional sorting or grouping options, click the More button, click the list with the criteria you want and then select your desired option.
- To add another grouping level, repeat steps 4, 5 & 6 for each grouping or sorting level you want.
- To change the order of grouping or sorting, select the group that you wish to move and then click the Move Up or Move Down arrow on the right side of the Group, Sort & Total pane.
- When finished, click the Close button on the Group, Sort & Total pane.