Yesterday, we talked about how to search for files using the Spotlight window. Another way to search for files is using the Find Command on the Finder window. While it may at first glance appear similar to the older versions of Mac OS X, it is in fact powered by Spotlight Technology. Using Find, you can search for an item by:
· The file name or any part of the file name
· The date the file was modified, created or last opened
· Text content of the file
· Keywords that Spotlight may have indexed
· Size of the file
· Type of file
· Any combination of the above criteria
· And much more
To begin searching, open any Finder window, enter your search criteria in the Search Box and press Return. The window is then transformed into a Spotlight window. To directly open a Spotlight window so that you can customize your search, select File > Find from the menu or press the Command + F keystroke combination.
You can narrow or broaden your search to specific Servers, your Home folder, Computer (to search your entire Mac) or Others, where you can add specific folders to the list. Select the area you want to search in a Finder window and then select File > Find from the menu to display the Spotlight window. For example, to search only your Home folder, select your Home folder in the Sidebar and select File > Find from the menu. You Home folder will then be displayed as a choice on the Searchlight window. You can choose My Mac to search your entire computer.
To narrow down your search even further, use the criteria boxes.
To Search for a File or Folder using the Find Command
- Select File > Find from the Finder menu.
Press the Command + F keystroke combination.
Type your search criteria in the Search box of any Finder windows.
- Click in the File Name box
- Type the name of the file or part of the name in the Search box.
- To search using additional criteria, click the plus (+) symbol and then choose the desired criteria from the drop-down boxes. Click Other for a list of all available criteria.
- To save a search for reuse in the future, click the Save button and provide a name for your search.
To Search only a specific drive or folder
- Click the desired disk or folder in any Finder window.
- Select File > Find from the menu (or use the Command + F keystroke combination)
- Select the drive or folder on top of of the Spotlight window.
- Type your search in the Search Box.