When you want to automatically print certain information on the top or bottom of every page, you can insert a Header or a Footer into your document. The information in the header section will appear at the top of every printed page while the information in the footer section will appear at the bottom of every printed page. If your worksheet contains more than one page, you should consider adding a header and/or footer. Creating a header or footer is accomplished by using the Header/Footer Tab of the Page Setup dialog box or from the Insert Ribbon.
Excel comes with several pre-defined headers and footers (page numbers, current date, sheet name, file name, author, etc.) that you can add to your worksheets. If you prefer to add your own custom header or footer, click on the left, center or right side of the Header or Footer window and type in your custom text. The contextual Header and Footer Tools Ribbon contains its own set of icons which allow you to insert page numbers, insert total pages, insert the date and time, insert the file name, sheet name or file path, insert a picture from a file and format a picture.
To Add a Header or Footer to a Worksheet
- Click the Insert tab on the Ribbon.
- Click the Header & Footer button on the Ribbon. Your worksheet will automatically display in Page Layout View.
- Click the left, right or center boxes at the top or bottom of your worksheet, depending on where you want to add your header information.
- Type your header information in the desired box.
- To insert predefined elements (page number, number of pages, current date, current time, etc.), click the icon on the Ribbon for the element you want.
- To insert a predefined header or footer, click the Header or Footer button on the Ribbon and choose the information you want to add from the list.
- Click the Go to Header or Go to Footer to switch between the Header and the Footer.
- To remove the header or footer from the first page, click the Different First Page checkbox on the Ribbon.
- Click the Different Odd and Even Pages checkbox if you want a different header or footer for odd and even pages.
- To close the header and footer window, click anywhere in your worksheet.