Taking pictures of your screen is not as simple as pressing the Print Screen button, like you do when working with Windows. Rather, taking shots of your screen on the Mac requires that you memorize a rather long and unintuitive keystroke combination. For instance:
To take a picture of part of the screen to clipboard: Command + Control + Shift + 4
To take a picture of the entire screen: Command + Shift + 3 (add Control key to save to the clipboard)
An easier way is to add a keyboard short cut to the command in the Keyboard Shortcuts area of the System Preferences.
- Click the Apple icon on your screen and select System Preferences.
- Click “Keyboard and Mouse” under the Hardware area.
- Click the Keyboard Shortcuts tab.
- Double-click the shortcut you want to modify in the Shortcut column
- Type in the new keyboard shortcut.
In the example below, I have changed the Copy picture of selected area to the clipboard to execute whenever I press the F6 key.