If you want to copy or move text only a short distance, such as from one location to another in the same document, the drag-and-drop method is another option. You can also drag-and-drop text from one open document to another, although this requires a bit more deftness with the mouse.
Dragging-and-dropping consists of first selecting the text that you wish to move or copy, clicking and holding down the mouse button, and then dragging the text to the desired new location. If you wish to copy the text rather then move it, press and hold down the Ctrl key before dragging.
To Copy or Move Text with Drag-and-Drop
- Select the text to be moved or copied.
- Move the mouse pointer anywhere over the selected text.
- If you wish to copy the text rather than move it, press and hold down the Ctrl key.
- Press and hold down the mouse button and then drag the text to the desired location. As you drag, a small horizontal bar appears which indicates the location of the text.
- Release the mouse button.