We have already learned that you can add page numbers to your document in Header or Footer view. You can also add page numbers to your document by clicking the Page Numbers button on the Insert Ribbon, choosing the location from the list (top, bottom, page margins or current posiition), and then choosing the page number style you want from the gallery.
Word also provides numerous page number formatting options:
- Number format
- Include chapter number with page number (i.e. 15-4, 15-5, etc.)
- Set the page number separator
- The number at which to begin page numbering
- Continue numbering from the previous sections (you’ll learn more about sections in a later lesson)
To display the Page Number Format dialog box, click the Page Number button and then choose Format Page Numbers from the drop-down list.
To Insert Page Numbers
- Click the Insert tab on the Ribbon.
- Click the Page Number button on the Header & Footer group.
- Point to the position from the list and then click the desired page number format from the Page Number Gallery.
- To format page numbers, click Format Page Numbers from the menu and make your desired choices.
- Click OK.