Once I was setting up a spreadsheet and entered in a fair amount of data only to realize afterwards that the structure of the spreadsheet was not what I wanted. What I really needed, were the rows to be the columns and the columns to be the rows. Luckily, I discovered an easy way to transpose my rows and columns without having to retype all of my data.
To Transpose Rows and Columns
- Select the range of cells you want to transpose.
- Click the Copy button on the Ribbon or press Ctrl + C (Note that you need to copy and not cut the data)
- Click in first cell of the new row or column.
- Click the drop-down arrow below the Paste button and choose Paste Special.
- Click the Transpose check box to select it.
- Click OK
- Delete the original cell or row of data, if desired.