If you find yourself using the same chart type over and over, you can set the default chart type in Excel to the chart type you prefer. This way, you don’t have to waste time drilling down to find your desired chart type each time you want to insert a chart.
To Set a Default Chart Type:
- Select the data that the chart will use.
- Click the Insert tab on the Ribbon and select the desired chart type to create the chart.
- Click the chart to select it.
- Click the contextual Design tab under Chart Tools on the Ribbon.
- Click the Change Chart Type button on the Type group.
- Click the chart you want to use as the default chart.
- Click the “Set as Default Chart” button.
- Click OK.
Once you have set a default chart type, all you need to do from this point forward is to select your data and click the dialog launcher on the Charts Group of the Ribbon. Your default chart is automatically highlighted in the Insert Chart dialog box.
Applies To: Excel 2010, Excel 2007