Word allows you to encrypt your documents, which restricts access to only those people who know the password. They are intended to keep unauthorized users from accessing your documents and from viewing and/or changing your data. You can assign passwords to any document, requiring users to enter the correct password in order to open it.
If you do decide to password protect your documents, make sure you write the password down somewhere, add it to a password management application and/or make a backup of your document before you password protect it. If you forget the password, you’re out of luck!
To Encrypt a Word Document
- Click the File tab and then click Info.
- Click the Protect Document icon in the Info pane.
- Click Encrypt with Password from the list.
- Type the password you want in the Password box and click OK.
- Type the password again to confirm it and click OK.