As you make changes to your workbooks, Excel records a variety of personal and hidden data. This can include the document author, comments and revision marks, document server properties, document metadata and other sensitive information about your company that you may not wish to share publicly. Thus, you might want to remove this hidden information before sharing your workbook with others.
The Document Inspector can remove hidden data and personal information from your Excel file. Note however, that once your remove this information, you may not be able to retrieve it so you should make a backup copy of your original workbook. You will also need to remove Shared access before running the Document Inspector.
To Inspect a Workbook
- Click the File tab and click Info.
- In the center pane, click the Check for Issues button and then click Inspect Document.
- Select the check boxes next to the types of information you want to be inspected.
- Click the Inspect button.
- Click the Remove All button next to the types of information you want removed from your document.