If you need to calculate a person’s current age based on their birthday, you can do this with a simply formula in Excel. When I worked in an HR office, I often had to fill out forms providing the birth date and current age for specific employees. What I did, was add the age calculation formula to my main Employee spreadsheet, so that it updated every time I opened the file.
- Select the cells containing the date of birth.
- Right-click and choose Format Cells from the contextual menu.
- Click Date in the Category pane.
- Choose the Date format you want and click OK.
- Click in the cell where you want the person’s calculated age to appear.
- Enter the formula: =(NOW()-A2)/365.24 (where A2 is the cell reference containing the birth date.)
- Copy the formula down using the Fill handle.
- Select the column containing the calculate age. Now we will get rid of the decimal points.
- Click the Number dialog launcher.
Click the Number category in the left pane.
- Type 0 in the Decimal Places box.
Share this post