It can often be helpful to have your Word documents read aloud. This can help you find errors or clumsy language that you may have missed during editing. In fact, many novelists read their entire novels aloud to ensure that the dialog sounds as natural as possible.
Word contains a hidden Speak command which when executed, will read the select text of your document out loud. The easiest way to make this command accessible, is to add it to the Quick Access Toolbar. If you choose, you can also add it to a custom group on the Ribbon.
- Click the drop-down arrow on the Quick Access Toolbar and choose More Commands from the list.
- Click the Choose Commands From arrow and choose: Commands Not in the Ribbon.
- Scroll down until you see the Speak command.
- Click the Speak command in the list and then click the Add button.
- Click OK. The command is now added to the Quick Access Toolbar.
- To use the command, highlight the text that you want read aloud and click the Speak icon on the Quick Access Toolbar.
Our Up to Speed guides are now available as downloadable PDF files, directly from this site . Click the Up to Speed Guides tab to see all of our latest ebooks designed to help you to become more productive, faster.