The first icon on the Ribbon of every Outlook view (Mail, Calendar, People, Tasks and Notes) allows you to create a new item for that paritcular view. For instance, the New Contact icon in the People view allows you to create a new contact, and you can create a new email message in Mail view by clicking the New Email icon.
But what if you are reading an email and suddenly remember that you need to set up a meeting with someone? No problem. To do so, click the New Items icon (available in every view) and choose the item type from the menu. In the case of our example, you would choose New Meeting from the New Items button menu.
Even easier, is to memorize a few keyboard shortcuts for creating a new item for each Outlook view:
- New E-Mail Message: Ctrl + Shift + M
- New Appointment: Ctrl + Shift + A
- New Meeting: Ctrl + Shift + Q
- New Contact: Ctrl + Shift + C
- New Task: Ctrl + Shift + K
- New Note: Ctrl + Shift + N
Share this post